Saturday, October 10, 2009

Ramen & Gyoza

XX
Ramen: Japanese noodles served in broth. People in Japan take the broth seriously, and some ramen places simmer their pots for 5 days to get that savory flavor.
Gyoza: Dumplings with meat (usually pork) and vegetable fillings. Dipped in soy sauce and vinegar (and hot chili oil).

Ramen is comfort food for most Japanese people - both kids and adults. It's what people crave after a night of drinking, or simply when you're hungry.

I had a very fun night out last night, which ended with ramen and gyoza at Ippudo in Roppongi (there is an Ippudo New York as well, which I have yet to try - I wonder if it's the same). Rich tonkotsu (pork bone base) soup, thin al dente noodles, and the perfect amount of toppings. I think I can go out on a limb and say that their ramen is the best in Tokyo.
XX